ABILENE – ACU’s baseball team got back on track to even the series with Utah Tech on Saturday afternoon, winning the second game of the weekend, 8-6. In a game moved up three hours to avoid inclement weather, the Wildcats (28-17, 12-11 WAC) jumped out in front, 5-0, and built an 8-2 lead late on. entrance. The Trailblazers (12-33, 7-16 WAC) scored four in the ninth, but the rally fell short as ACU held on for the win. The series is now tied at one game each, and the teams will move on to the rubber game on Sunday at 11:05 a.m.
As a step
– After a very crucial goalless shot from the first from the starter Breck Eichelberger, Grayson Tatrow he gave ACU the early lead with a solo shot to center field. Tatrow’s 16th home run of the season gave the ‘Cats their first lead of the series.
– The Wildcats executed a perfect double steal in the bottom of the third inning. logan britt took off for the second, and holdens tower he then went home and scored to go up 2-0. tanner tweedt followed later in the inning with a two-out single up the middle at home plate garrett williams to go up 3-0 after three.
– Tatrow did it again in the home fifth, hitting a low-trajectory two-run homer to left field to make it 5-0 up.
– Utah Tech came on the board in the top of the reliever’s sixth outing Lucas Krkovskyscoring a pair of runs on a single and a fielder’s choice.
– The ‘Cats continued in the sixth house. With runners on first and second, Rook grounded on a fielder’s choice. The throw to first base got away allowing him to score a run to make it 6-2. logan britt he then stepped in and hit a two-run home run to left field to put an 8–2 lead into the sixth.
– Utah Tech threatened in the ninth to make some noise, scoring four times to cut the game to two runs, but zach smith he finished strong to hold on for the 8-6 victory.
– Britt and Tatrow led the way, combining for four hits, including three home runs, five RBIs and four runs scored.
– Tatrow hit home runs 16 and 17 on the season and now leads ACU with 52 RBIs.
– Britt hit his 11th home run of the year as part of a three-homer day for the ‘Cats.
– Tatrow had his second multi-homer game of the season and drove in three. He reached base three times and scored twice.
– Eichelberger got the win (5-2) pitching 5.0 scoreless innings of baseball on just two hits. The right-hander struck out two and threw 90 pitches.
– Lucas Krkovsky pitched 0.1 inning, and Adam Stephenson he tossed 2.2 scoreless innings on two hits with two strikeouts.
– Sam Berberich didn’t get an out in the ninth, but zach smith he recorded all three outs to slam the door.
Beyond the box score
– Tatrow now has 17 home runs this season, tying his own Division I single-season record for most home runs in a season. The senior also turned 17 last season.
– Tatrow’s home run in the fifth inning was 105 mph from the start.
– ACU now has 51 homers as a team this season, the third straight year with 50-plus bombs.
– Game 3 of the series begins at 11:05 am Sunday at WAC International. RHP austin icing (2-1, 6.80 ERA) goes for ACU against RHP Dakoda West (1-1, 6.51 ERA) for Utah Tech.