TO grimsby Mom was devastated after one of her cats, whom she described as the “most perfect cat in the world,” died after being poisoned with antifreeze.
Stacey Hughes, 33, who lives on Alexandra Road, wants to alert other cat owners in the area to be vigilant after her two cats, Dobby, 6, and Odin, 10 months, were poisoned. with antifreeze the same day. .
Sadly, Dobby could not be saved, and Odin is now “not the same cat anymore”.
Read more: ‘Beloved’ tarantula stolen from Cleethorpes pet store
Stacey first became aware of the horrific situation when her daughter woke her up on Thursday morning (May 4) to tell her that her youngest cat couldn’t walk.
Speaking to Grimsby Live, he said: “My daughter said my youngest cat, Odin, couldn’t walk and couldn’t stand on his hind legs. I immediately took him to Blue Cross, and they were very surprised to see what a state he was in. he was in. He was fine on his own, but he just had no control over his hind legs, his rear end was backwards, so they kept him for testing.
“I came home to get my other cat, Dobby, and she didn’t come home until 7pm. Cross too. They put her in right away because they had seen what Odin looked like.
Staff were unable to take a urine sample from Odin because his kidneys were failing, but after successfully obtaining a sample from Dobby, they were able to confirm that the cats had been poisoned with antifreeze.
“I had an instant panic. I also have a dog, so I was worried someone had put something in my yard. I was worried it was my two animals because part of me was like, is this deliberate?” Stacey said.
When he checked the alley outside his property, he saw a pile of garbage bags that had been dumped there recently. She thinks this is where the antifreeze was.
She continued: “There was quite a bit of rubbish, so we don’t know if anything was dumped there accidentally or on purpose. I’ll never know if it was intentional.”
“My cats hated each other. The whole time we had Odin, he and Dobby used to hiss at each other, so they didn’t hang out. The chances of both of them tripping over him and drinking him just don’t make sense.” part of me thinks, has anyone done it because [the cats] did they go to his garden?
“If it’s deliberate, I don’t understand how someone could hurt an animal, but if it was accidental, maybe someone should use their brains a bit. Antifreeze smells so sweet and attracts animals, so people should be a little more aware of how to dispose of it properly.
Because Odin was found and taken to the Blue Cross quickly, he recovered after receiving IV fluids, but Stacey said that “he’s not the same cat anymore”.
“She’s still shaking and she can’t really sit for a long time, she doesn’t eat much and she just sleeps all the time,” Stacey said.
Tragically, on Saturday morning, Blue Cross staff told Stacey that Dobby did not survive and died as a result of antifreeze poisoning.
She said: “Dobby was treated with vodka, which is basically alcohol in her bloodstream to prevent the antifreeze from crystallizing in her kidneys, but she got a little weird after her first treatment. Her breathing wasn’t right and her heart wasn’t it was good”. beating properly so they stopped the treatment on Saturday morning and at 1pm on Saturday I got a phone call to say it was best to put her to sleep.
“She was the most harmless cat in the world. My little boy had it his whole life from her, the whole family is heartbroken.
“I am very excited, I have a blocked tear duct in my eye because I cried a lot. She was not just a pet, she was just a perfect cat, she was very affectionate and now I am constantly worried because Odin is not himself.”
Stacey said she hopes to share her experience with other cat owners in the area and wants to emphasize how important it is for people to dispose of antifreeze properly.
“If someone reads this and thinks, ‘I’ve got some of that,’ please dispose of it properly. If Dobby’s story helps people dispose of it properly, at least something good could come of it.”
“I just want to thank Blue Cross for everything they did for my two cats.”
For information on what to do if you think your cat has been poisoned, read Blue Cross’ helpful guide. here.